Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Indexes, each covering a 10-year span of Chronicles, are also available and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history.
Table of Contents
- The Prosperous Year, 1850-1890 by Andrew L. Leath
- Omen Portfolio-Photographs and drawings of the Omen area and its citizens
- Justices of the Peace
- Facsimile of “The Rustler”
- Facsimile of “The Omen Omelet”
- W. Orr’s Summer Hill Select School by Allyne Burton
- “Twentieth Century Omen,” Interviews by Linda Brown Cross
- “The Canton Beat,” census of 1860
- Omen Cemeteries – Smith, Shiloh & Elkins
- From the Records – Probate items of Canton citizens; Lindsey & Engledow, Susanna Overton and Daniel Gillis
- The Last Syrup Mill at Omen by Linda Brown Cross
- Notes on the Omen Post Office
- Canton Lodge No. 98
- The Methodist Church by A. C. Gentry, Jr.
- Omen: 1977, map by Andrew L. Leath – back cover