Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Indexes, each covering a 10-year span of Chronicles, are also available and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history.
Table of Contents
- “Miss Dod’s Select School for Girls and Young Ladies of Refinement,” painting by Betty Bogard – front cover
- Priest, Parish and People Build a School: The Founding of St. Gregory, by Alma Coplen
- Sojourn in Tyler 1867 by Col. Aubrey A. Wilson
- Smith County Scholastics, Oct. 1854 by Andrew L. Leath
- The Driskell-Kirby House by Andrew L. Leath
- Bibliography of Smith County compiled by Sarah H. Harper, edited by Frank M. Smyrl
- Papa Rang the Bell: Some Remembrances of the Life and Career of Professor John R. Moore by Dr. Alma Moore Freeland
- The Class of 0-Five by Lucille Mardock
- “Baptists in a New County – 1855,” the Cherokee Baptist Association Meets at Carmel
- Portrait of Pennybacker’s Pupils by Andrew L. Leath – back cover