Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Printed Indexes are also available to purchase and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history. The first printed index covers Volumes 1 to 10 of the Chronicles. The second book covers Volumes 11-20 with the third covering Volumes 21-30. The fourth and final index book covers Volumes 31-40.
Table of Contents
- The Patterson House, front cover photo by James Wilkins.
- Miss Mattie (Jones) by Lucille Mardock, pages 1-5.
- The Reverend Caleb H. Smith-Circuit Ridin’ Preacher of Smith County by Andrew L. Leath, page 6-10.
- Tyler Junior College: The Early Years by R.M. Ballard, Jr., page 11-22.
- Photograph, Pine Springs School Class 1924, page 22.
- The Patterson House (1311 W. Oakwood in Tyler) by Del Edwards, page 23, 28-29
- The First Producing Oil Well in Smith County by Sonja Jarvis, based on a interview with J. G. Cook, pages 24-25.
- Blackstone Hotel Employees of the period 1932-1936 list by Pat McKenna, page 25-26.
- A Boomer Comes to Smith County by Leo Carothers, page 26-28.
- Tyler Street Names by Vicki Stroud, page 30-33.
- Photograph, “Smith County Grand Jury 1898”, back cover.
Check out our Chronicles On-line Index – a compilation of the four published books of indexes and seven unpublished volumes of indexes.