Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Indexes, each covering a 10-year span of Chronicles, are also available and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history.
Table of Contents:
- The Development of the District School Systems of Smith County by Randal B. Gilbert, pages 1-8.
- William H. Ray, by Mildred McKnight Shamburger, pages 9-10.
- “Harris Creek Baptist,” reproduction of booklet published in 1949 by J. H. King , pages 10-12.
- Pictures from Our Past, reproduction of Tyler Commercial College class and of old high school building with captions by Morris S. Burton, page 13 and East Texas University, page 14,
- The Freedman’s Bureau by Dr. Barry A. Crouch, pages 15-30.
- Money of the Merchants, the story of trade tokens by Robert Fleet, pages 31-35.
- “The Omen Omelet,” facsimile reproduction of Summer Hill Select School newspaper, page 35-39.
- “Scenes of Old Whitehouse,” four old photographs reproduced, pages 40-43.
- “Tignal W. Jones,” an appreciation reprinted from Civil Minute Book District Court, Smith County, page 44-45.
- Copies of the backs of Photographer that show the Photographers information: on page 45 are O. R. Thigpen & J. M. Hills and on back cover is H. R. Farr
To view an index of people, places, subjects, etc. to all issues of the Chronicles of Smith County, Texas that has been published, please click here.