Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Printed Indexes are also available to purchase and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history. The first printed index covers Volumes 1 to 10 of the Chronicles. The second book covers Volumes 11-20 with the third covering Volumes 21-30. The fourth and final index book covers Volumes 31-40.
Table of Contents
SPECIAL BICENTENNIAL ISSUE ON SMITH COUNTY & TYLER IN 1876
- Introduction by Frank H. Smyrl, page 1.
- Forty-Eight Years in Texas; Dick Hubbard of Tyler by J. S. Duncan, pages 2-9.
- Richard Bennett Hubbard, Centennial Orate\or, by J. S. Duncan, pages 10-12.
- Facsimile of “A Day To Remember”, page 13.
- Marriages of 1876 compiled by Dora Derr Wilkins, pages 14-21.
- “Sunday Best”—Halverson/Roberts photo of 1870’s, page 22.
- The Cherokee Baptist Association Meets at Tyler, Oct. ‘76, pages 23-30.
- Smith County & East Texas, 1876 Gray’s New Map of Texas, pages 31-32.
- The Minutes of the Commissioners Court 1876 abstracted by Mary K. Haynes, pages 32-38.
- Smith County fugitives from Justice 1876, pages 39-40.
- Methodist Preachers 1876, page 40.
- 1876: Month by Month, pages 41-52.
- Tyler’s First Fair (1876) by Loy J. Gilbert, pages 53-59.
- Facsimile of The Tyler Democrat and Reporter, Oct. 7, 1876, pages 60-67.
- Number 7 of 11; the 1876 Courthouse by Morris S. Burton, pages 68-74.
- A. Holt, A Man & His World by James Wilkins, pages 75-79.
- A Record That Yet Stands…Thomas R. Henry & John L. Henry, pages 80.
- The 1876 Smith County Courthouse by A. C. Gentry, Jr.
Check out our Chronicles On-line Index – a compilation of the four published books of indexes and seven unpublished volumes of indexes.