Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Indexes, each covering a 10-year span of Chronicles, are also available and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history.
Table of Contents:
- Front Cover drawing by A. C. Gentry.
- Troup City Cemetery by William Bradford Bugg. page 1-6.
- “Courthouse Views,” photos and captions by Morris S. Burton, page 7-12.
- Noonday A Portfolio – Drawing by A. C. Gentry, page 13.
- The History of Noonday Community, The Year 1860 by Lloyd Smith, page 14-19.
- Pierce School, page 20.
- A Brief History of Noonday Baptist Church, page 21-24.
- Interview – Ossie Ruth Tomlinson, page 25-29.
- Interview – Annie Holbrook Spivey, page 30-32.
- A Picture From Our Past – “Tyler Volunteer Fire Department Football Team”, page 33.
- Hopewell School by Mary K. Haynes, drawing by Dana Adams, page 34-37.
- First Annual Catalog Hopewell High School, 1888, page 38-44.
- The Billikens and the Pensive Pups by Fones Oden Hudnall.
- Pioneers of Troup: Judge Stephen Decatur Morris and wife Mary Bradford Morris, back cover.
To view an index of people, places, subjects, etc. to all issues of the Chronicles of Smith County, Texas that has been published, please click here.