Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of
Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Indexes, each covering a 10-year span of Chronicles, are also available and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history.
Table of Contents
- Front Cover drawing by Dana Adams, Jr.
- The Tyler Audubon Society by Novella G. Martin. Wildlife drawings by Gayle Bonsall, page 1-6
- 100 Years of Smith County Aggies by Andy Leath, page 7
- Who Is Dana Layton? by Bill Ashley, page 8-14
- Hampson Gary by Linda Brown Cross, page 15-21
- The Biography of Reverend Robert Hill, D.D. by Elizabeth Hill Haynes, page 22-30
- Mortality Schedule, Smith County, 1860, by Andy Leath, page 30-32
- Smith Countians on Relief 1935, page 32
- The Bench & Bar of Tyler, 1847-1900 by Alex Beall. page 33-45
- Mick Ferrell and His Smith County Singing Schools ‘Sing It Out’ by Brainard Sherwin Ferrell, page 46-54
- Judge Stephen Reaves by Fones Oden Hudnall, page 55-58
- “Hubbard Comes Home to Tyler,” Letters of Richard Hubbard in Japan to Stephen Reaves. Introduction by J.S. Duncan, page 59-65
- “Marchman’s/Lindale,” photograph of Riley Marchman’s store in Lindale ca 1905, back cover
To view an index of people, places, subjects, etc. to all issues of the Chronicles of Smith County, Texas that has been published, please click here.