Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Printed Indexes are also available to purchase and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history. The first printed index covers Volumes 1 to 10 of the Chronicles. The second book covers Volumes 11-20 with the third covering Volumes 21-30. The fourth and final index book covers Volumes 31-40.
Table of Contents
- Front Cover: Marker Number One – Camp Ford marker and cover cartoon by Herc Ficklen
- Geo. Bentinck & His Little Red Market by Catherine Ann Bentinck, page 1-7
- “Graded School Journal,” facsimile of newspaper published in 1886 by students of Tyler High School, page 8-11
- Photograph-“Lipstate’s Store, Fall ’04 (interior),” page 12
- Catalog of East Texas Conservatory of Music, Tyler (12 pages facsimile), pages 13-24
- The Confederate Letters of John Simmons (Pvt. Co. I, 22nd Texas Infantry) edited by Jon Harrison, page 25-57
- The Rushing House by Andy Leath, drawing by by A. C. Gentry, Jr., photography by James Wilkins, pages 58-59
- The Dean House by Andy Leath, drawing by by A. C. Gentry, Jr., photography by James Wilkins, pages 59-61
- The Ford House by Andy Leath, drawing by by A. C. Gentry, Jr., photography by James Wilkins, pages 61-63
- “Lanes Chapel School ca1906-07” (photograph loaned by Mrs. Zadie Irwin), page 64
- Historical Markers in Smith County compiled by Alice & Loy Gilbert, pages 65-74
- Agricultural Potpourri – Smith County, pages 75-77
- The Ford House (at Pine Springs) by A. C. Gentry, Jr., page BC
To view an index of people, places, subjects, etc. to all issues of the Chronicles of Smith County, Texas that has been published, please click here.