Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Printed Indexes are also available to purchase and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history. The first printed index covers Volumes 1 to 10 of the Chronicles. The second book covers Volumes 11-20 with the third covering Volumes 21-30. The fourth and final index book covers Volumes 31-40.
6 new old stock original copies, 1 reproduction copy, and 4 used original copies have been found of this volume in store back-stock, first come first served!!!
Table of Contents:
- “The Butler House,” drawing by Ancel E. Nunn, front cover
- the Butler house (630 South Fannin, Tyler) by Jack T. Greer, inside front cover and page 41
- the Lewis Hotel (309 East Erwin, Tyler) by Howard O. Pollan, photo by James Wilkins, page 1-2
- the Merritt house (Joy community) by James Wilkins, photo by James Wilkins, page 2-3
- the Dingler house (Midway community) by Terry Cowan, photo by Terry Cowan, page 4-5
- the Judge house (West Houston at South College, Tyler) by Jane Judge Greer, page 5-6
- the Nunn house (Pine Springs community) by Andy Leath, photo by James Wilkins, page 6
- Damascus Baptist Church (4 miles east of Lindale) by Johnny Pierce Kennedy, page 7-9
- the Yarbrough building (106 East Ferguson) by Loy Gilbert, page 10-11
- Wells on Tyler’s boundary 1880 by Howard O. Pollan, page 12
- View from Within: letters of Gregory Barrett, Freedmen’s Bureau Agent by Barry Crouch, page 13-27
- And Other Views, two items on the Barrett-Kennedy Episode during reconstruction days in Tyler, page 27-28
- recess (or time out from books for the traveling photographer!), Starrville 1909 by Hal Gary, page 29
- Pictures from our Past: The Ladies of Tyler – Mrs. Lena Cameron Arnold, photo by Mims, by Mrs. Harold Carlisle, page 30
- Pictures from our Past: The Ladies of Tyler – Tyler Hi Cowgirls by Mrs. Harold Carlisle, page 31
- Pictures from our Past: The Ladies of Tyler – Drill Team or Performing Group in Tyler 1882, by Dr. Ava J. McAmis, page 31
- George H. Yarbrough by Loy J. Gilbert, page 32-33
- A Short History of Troup, Texas (with 6 old postcard views) by R. E. “Bob” Cross, page 34-39
- the Browning gin (Browning community) by James Wilkins, photo by James Wilkins, page 40
- Facsimile of a hand-lettered diploma from Tyler Commercial College by Harry Kempf, back cover
9 Original Copies Are available sold as is– 1 Reproduction copy available sold as is
Check out our Chronicles On-line Index – a compilation of the four published books of indexes and seven unpublished volumes of indexes.