Chronicles of Smith County, Texas has been published by the Smith County Historical Society since 1962. The articles are always informative about the county’s history and often include photographs, maps and tables.
All issues have been published in an 8.5 inch X 11 inch, soft cover format. With the large number of topics already covered since its beginning, past issues of Chronicles are important resources for any person researching our history!
Printed Indexes are also available to purchase and provide the invaluable keys to this saved history. The first printed index covers Volumes 1 to 10 of the Chronicles. The second book covers Volumes 11-20 with the third covering Volumes 21-30. The fourth and final index book covers Volumes 31-40.
5 new old stock copies, 2 reproduction copies and 4 used copies of this volume have been found in store back-stock, first come first served!!!
Table of Contents
- John C. Robertson, Judge of 7th District Court, front cover.
- Bullets, Ballots & Bayonets; Reconstruction Politics and Elections in Smith County, 1866-1873 by John P. Carrier, drawing by Wynoma Johnson, pages 1-14.
- Houses of Tyler’s Past & Present: The Dean-Venable House by Terry Cowan, pages 1516
- The Mathis-Albertson House by Dorothy Albertson, page 17.
- The Loftin-Wiggins House by Alice Gilbert, pages 18-22.
- “Letter from a Far Land (1885),” Mrs. Richard B. Hubbard to her niece, Mary Wiggins Loftin (hand written from JAPAN), page 23-27.
- “I’m Here Yit,” an interview with 112 year old Irving Anderson by Robert W. Glover, pages 28-30, 39.
- 1890 and 1891 ads for Tyler businesses in the Methodist Episcopal Church South annual conference booklet, pages 31-38..
- Pleasant Retreat Methodist Church including membership roster from page 43-57.
- Bascom, Texas; Typical Texana by Andrew L. Leath, pages 58-67
- Commencement programs for Tyler High School: 1889, 1891 and 1895 (facsimiles), page 68-69, back cover.
8 Original Copies Are available sold as is -2 Reproduction copies are available sold as is
Check out our Chronicles On-line Index – a compilation of the four published books of indexes and seven unpublished volumes of indexes.